Our Commitment to a Greener Planet
We care about the planet at PJW Meters. As individuals we cannot do everything, but the point is to try to do what we reasonably can. This is good for the planet, good for us, often saving us money on energy, and its good for the future generations that come after us.
As a business, our commitment to a greener planet includes some of these strategies. They may inspire you too.
- Energy Audit: At PJW we conduct a periodic energy audit to identify areas of energy waste and opportunities for improvement. This includes turning off lights and electrical appliances at the wall when they are not needed. It includes a shorter standby time on office equipment like printers and computers not in use. When replacing electrical appliances such as kettles and fridges, we buy the most efficient energy ones we can.
- Energy-Efficient Lighting: We aim to replace existing lighting with energy-efficient LED lights in as many spaces as we can. These use significantly less energy and have a longer lifespan
- Efficient Heating Systems: We meter our energy, and install energy-efficient heating where it is needed. Programmable thermostats, regular maintenance, and proper insulation further enhance efficiency.
- Equipment Upgrades: Replace outdated machinery and equipment with energy-efficient models with high Energy Star ratings. These consume less energy.
- Renewable Energy Sources: We are looking into installing solar panels and other renewable energy systems on your premises. This will help with our energy consumption and reduce reliance on fossil fuels.
- Smart Power Strips: WE use smart power strips or timers to reduce standby power consumption. These devices automatically turn off power to idle electronics, such as computers and printers, when not in use.
- Energy-Efficient Office Design: The layout of our offices are optimised to maximize natural lighting and ventilation. WE use energy-efficient windows and insulation to reduce the need for artificial heating and cooling.
- Employee Awareness: We educate our employees about our energy conservation practices and encourage them to adopt environmentally friendly habits. Small actions like turning off lights, unplugging devices, recycling and using power-saving settings on computers can make a significant difference.
- Telecommuting and Virtual Meetings: We promote virtual meetings where this is appropriate and feasible. This reduces commuting-related energy consumption and associated greenhouse gas emissions.
- Paperless Operations: We minimize paper usage by preferring digital documentation and communication systems. We use cloud storage and collaboration tools to reduce printing and paper waste.
- Waste Management: We implement proper waste management practices, including recycling and composting.
- Water Conservation: We aim to conserve water by keeping our plumbing in good condition and employing efficient leak detection programs. Water-saving measures contribute to our overall sustainability efforts.
- Green Transportation: We encourage and support our employees to use public transportation, carpooling, or biking to work wherever possible and practical. We offer incentives such as secure bike storage facilities on our premises.
- Continuous Monitoring and Improvement: We regularly monitor and analyse our energy consumption and make adjustments as we can.
We consider that in this present climate, we do all need to do what we can. Most of it is common sense, but there are systems and tools to help with this, and these include utility metering, voltage optimisation, and employing sustainable options such as solar panelling.
If you feel that we can help, please do get in touch, we would be more than happy to work with you.